There are several things you can do to help get rid of bad breath (also known as halitosis):
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly: Brushing twice a day and flossing once a day can help remove bacteria and food particles from your mouth, which can cause bad breath. Be sure to brush for at least two minutes and use a toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Use mouthwash: Mouthwash can help kill bacteria and freshen your breath. Look for a mouthwash that contains antimicrobial agents.
- Drink plenty of water: Staying hydrated can help flush away bacteria and food particles that can cause bad breath. Aim to drink at least eight cups of water a day.
- Avoid tobacco products: Tobacco products, such as cigarettes and chewing tobacco, can cause bad breath and increase the risk of gum disease. Quitting smoking and using tobacco products can help improve your breath and overall oral health.
- Eat a healthy diet: A diet high in fruits and vegetables can help keep your breath fresh. Avoid sugary and acidic foods, which can contribute to bad breath.
- Chew gum or suck on breath mints (just make sure it’s sugar free): Chewing gum or sucking on breath mints can help stimulate saliva production, which can help rinse away bacteria and freshen your breath.
- Brush your tongue or use a tongue scraper
If you have tried these strategies and your bad breath persists, it is a good idea to see a dental professional to determine the cause and receive appropriate treatment.